Free tips 2019 Cheltenham Gold Cup Betting Prediction & Tips (3.30pm, Friday)
Gold Cup Jigsaw – is Kemboy the key piece?
In this post we analyse the big race of the week at Cheltenham 2019, the Gold Cup and give you our Cheltenham Gold Cup betting prediction and best bets…
- Can Native River become the first horse to win back-to-back Gold Cups since Best Mate in 2004?
- Will Presenting Percy with just 1 run over hurdles, be ready and able to justify Gold Cup favouritism?
- Is Might Bite, last year’s second & 2017 King George winner, capable of putting 2 bad runs behind him?
- What’s the Gold Cup odds of one of Willie Mullins’ runners landing him a 1st Gold Cup after many tries?
These are just some of the questions a wide-open £625,000 Magners Gold Cup throw up. The 2019 rendition of the three-mile two-furlong truly is a jigsaw puzzle which needs to be put together piece by piece if you are going to have a bet on it.
6/1 shot Native River, because repeat winners are so rare, can easily be dismissed. In addition his two disappointing runs this season can be attributed to the ground being unsuitable.
Indeed, he likes soft going and he is not likely to get that this year. Nicky Henderson is a great trainer but he does not own a magic wand and his Might Bite (14/1) needs a miracle also based on his two deplorable runs this season.
Thistlecrack has been a wonderful servant to connections and has enjoyed some great days at the Cheltenham Festival but he is 11 now. The last 11-year-old to win the Gold Cup was Mandarin in 1962 and he would be the oldest winner since 1969.
The serious chances
That’s three English-trained horses taken out of our calculations but this season’s King George winner, Clan Des Obeaux, cannot be discarded. Only seven years of age and clearly improving he cannot be left out of calculations.
However there are two other horses in the race with untold scope:
- Presenting Percy, who is the highly touted and the convincing winner of last season’s RSA Chase at the Festival
- Kemboy trained by Willie Mullins is unbeaten in his last four on a variety of surfaces (good through to heavy) and has the beating of many Irish Gold Cup runners (Bellshill, Road To Respect, Monalee, Shattered Love) on the basis of his easy Grade 1 Leopardstown win three days after Christmas.
The Verdict – Our final Cheltenham Gold Cup Betting Prediction
Clan Des Obeaux has not shown brilliance throughout his jumping career and he has been beaten in eight of his 13 chase starts. It’s unusual for a horse to become a star in the space of a few races.
Presenting Percy could be anything but he has never contested a chase outside of novice company and might be ill-equipped for the hustle and bustle of this race.
So, by elimination, Kemboy is our main Cheltenham Gold Cup betting prediction at 10/1 with 888sport (1/5 odds 1-2-3) or 9/1 at bet365* who go 1/4 the odds with their each-way terms.
888sport will give all new customers who bet just £10, another £30 worth of free bets!
Is Kemboy your fancy for the Magners Cheltenham Gold Cup?
Connections are hopeful of a big run from the seven-year-old. ⬇️https://t.co/rruZZO3tX7
— Racing TV (@RacingTV) March 10, 2019
* Odds correct at the time of writing