Free tips League Two 2021-22 Preview: Exeter City Could be Set to Finally Secure Promotion from League Two
The new League Two season starts on Saturday 07 August, with Salford City the clear favourites to justify the ambitions of their famous owners and secure the title.
The Ammies can be backed at odds of 6/1 with BoyleSports to win League Two, although it’s worth noting that the division has been something of a graveyard for favourites in recent years.
There is certainly decent quality in the Salford ranks, particularly with the summer recruitment of Tom King, Conor McAleny, Matthew Lund, Josh Morris and Liam Shephard, and Gary Bowyer looks to have been a shrewd appointment as manager back in March, but the odds hold little appeal.
Leading League Two Contenders
New Bradford City manager Derek Adams has League Two form, having steered unfancied Morecambe to promotion last season and Plymouth Argyle prior to that.
The Bantams have made some decent signings and should improve markedly on last term’s 15th place, although whether they are worth backing at 10/1 with 888sport to win League Two is another matter.
Bristol Rovers finished bottom of League One last season and there is seemingly always some off-field distraction with manager Joey Barton. The Pirates have made some useful additions to their ranks over the summer, but the 12/1 on offer with bet365* for them to top the table doesn’t appeal.
Where they do look a reasonable value bet is to finish as ‘Top Relegated club’ ahead of Rochdale, Northampton Town and Swindon Town. They can be backed at 6/4 with William Hill in this market.
Mansfield Town can also be backed at 12/1 with Betway and, having underachieved in each of the previous two seasons, look capable of being up among the leading challengers under Nigel Clough this time.
At 14/1 with 888sport we have Exeter City, who have been close to promotion for five straight years now. This might finally be the season where they get over the line and they can be backed for Promotion at 10/3 with bet365*.
Other League Two Betting Odds
- Forest Green Rovers are also on offer at odds of 14/1 with Betway, but new manager Rob Edwards is an unknown quantity.
- Tranmere Rovers are 16/1 with bet365* to win League Two and look a reasonable shout at those odds. Micky Mellon has returned to the dugout after a spell with Dundee United and has overhauled the squad. They certainly look worth a punt at 7/4 with bet365* for a Top 7 Finish.
- Leyton Orient – Also available at odds of 16/1 are Leyton Orient at BoyleSports. Manager Kenny Jackett has a wealth of experience and looks to have brought in some decent players over the summer. Backing Orient for a Top 7 Finish at 17/10 with Betfair has some appeal.
- Newport County – There were doubts as to whether Michael Flynn would stay at Newport County following their defeat to Morecambe in last season’s League Two play-off final, but he has opted to stay put. The Exiles are on offer at odds of 20/1 with Betway to win League Two, which isn’t a bad price.
- Stevenage are ranked among the favourites for relegation with the bookies, but they showed some promise last term and look to have the firepower to steer clear of trouble. They can be backed at 6/4 with William Hill to ‘Finish in the Top Half’, which looks within their capabilities.
League Two Relegation Odds
At the other end of the table, the bookies are of the belief that this could be the season when we finally see a newly promoted team tumble back down to the National League after just one season.
National League champions Sutton United have had to replace their artificial pitch and a limited budget has hampered their attempts to bolster their squad. They can be backed for an immediate return to the non-league game at 4/1 with William Hill.
Hartlepool United, back in League Two after a four-year absence having won the National League play-offs, are 11/2 with Betway for the drop.
The value bet for Relegation could be Scunthorpe United at 4/1 with bet365*. They struggled badly over the latter half of last season and financial cutbacks has resulted in a loss of a number of their better and more experienced players.
League Two Betting Predictions:
- Promotion – Exeter City @ 10/3 with bet365*
- Top 7 Finish – Tranmere Rovers @ 7/4 with bet365*
- Top 7 Finish – Leyton Orient @ 17/10 with Betfair
- Relegation – Scunthorpe United @ 4/1 with bet365*
- Top Relegated – Bristol Rovers @ 6/4 with William Hill
- To Finish in Top Half – Stevenage @ 6/4 with William Hill
* League Two odds correct at the time of article publication. All betting odds are subject to change.